|Fédération Cynologique Internationale|
FCI-Standard N° 303
The sequence might differ slightly from the original breed standard.
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE OFFICIAL VALID STANDARD: 02.11.1979.
|Group 6||Scent hounds and related breeds|
|Section 1.1||Scenthounds, Large-sized Hounds|
|With working trial|
HEAD: Should be fairly long, slightly domed at occiput.
Skull: Broad and full.
Stop: Moderately defined.
Muzzle: Of fair length, straight and square-cut.
Eyes: Large, set well apart, soft and houndlike; expression gentle and pleading. Colour brown or hazel.
Ears: Set on moderately low, long, reaching when drawn out nearly, if not quite, to the tip of the nose; fine in texture; fairly broad, with almost entire absence of erectile power; setting close to the head with the forward edge slightly inturning to the cheek; round at tip.
NECK: Rising free and light from the shoulders, strong in substance, yet not loaded, of medium length. The throat clean and free from folds of skin, a slight wrinkle below the angle of the jaw, however, is allowable.
Back: Moderately long, muscular and strong.
Loin: Broad and slightly arched.
Chest: Chest: Should be deep for lung space, narrower in proportion to depth than the English Hound, 28 inches girth (71 cm) in a 23-inch (58 cm) hound being good.
Ribs: Well sprung; back ribs should extend well back.
Flank: A three-inch (7,6 cm) flank allowing springiness.
TAIL: Set moderately high; carried gaily, but not turned forward over the back; with slight curve; with very slight brush.
FOREQUARTERS: Forelegs straight, with fair amount of bone.
Shoulder: Sloping, clean, muscular, not heavy or loaded, conveying the idea of freedom of action with activity and strength.
Pastern: Short and straight.
Forefeet: Foxlike. Well arched toes, strong nails, pads full and hard.
Hind feet: Close and firm.
Thigh: Hips and thighs: Strong and muscled, giving abundance of propelling power.
Stifle: Strong and well let down.
Hock: Firm, symmetrical and moderately bent.
HAIR: Close, hard hound coat of medium length.
COLOUR: Any colour.
Height at withers:
Dogs should not be under 22 or over 25 inches (56-63,5 cm).
Bitches should not be under 21 or over 24 inches (53-61 cm), measured across the back at the point of the withers, the hound standing in a natural position with his feet well under him.
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
- Skull very flat, narrow across the top; excess of dome.
- Roman-nosed, or upturned, giving a dish-face expression.
- Muzzle long and snipey, cut away decidedly below the eyes, or very short.
- Eyes small, sharp and terrierlike, or prominent and protruding.
- Ears short, set-on high, or with a tendency to rise above the point of origin.
- Neck thick, short, cloddy, carried on a line with the top of the shoulders. Throat showing dewlap and folds of skin to a degree termed throatiness ».
- Back very long, swayed or roached back.
- Loins flat, narrow.
- Chest disproportionately wide or with lack of depth.
- Ribs flat.
- Tail long. Teapot curve or inclining forward from the root. Rat tail. Entire absence of brush.
- Forelegs crooked.
- Shoulders straight, upright.
- Out at elbow.
- Carpus knuckled over forward or bent backward.
- Cowhocks or straight hocks.
- Feet long, open or spreading.
- Lack of muscle and propelling power.
- Coat short, thin, or of a soft quality.
DISQUALIFYING FAULTS: Any dog clearly showing physical or behavioural abnormalities shall be disqualified.
|Chest and Shoulders||15|
|Back, Loin and Ribvs||15|
|Hips, Thigh and Hind Legs||10|