|Fédération Cynologique Internationale|
FCI-Standard N° 237
Norwegian Buhund(Norsk Buhund)
These illustrations do not necessarily show the ideal example of the breed.
The sequence might differ slightly from the original breed standard.
DATE OF PUBLICATION OF THE OFFICIAL VALID STANDARD: 09.08.1999.
UTILISATION: Watchdog, farmdog and herder of polyvalent use.
|Group 5||Spitz and primitive types|
|Section 3||Nordic Watchdogs and Herders|
|Without working trial|
TRANSLATION: Norsk Kennel Club.
GENERAL APPEARANCE: A typical Spitz, a little under middle size, squarely built with an alert and frank expression. Erect, pointed ears. Tail carried firmly curled over the back.
BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT: Courageous, energetic and friendly.
HEAD: Size in proportion to the body, not too heavy. Wedge-shaped, clean. The male and the female sex characteristics must be clearly defined.
Skull: Almost flat, parallel with nasal bridge. Well filled out under the eyes.
Stop: Well defined, but not too pronounced.
Muzzle: About the same length as skull. Neither too narrow nor too heavy. Nasal bridge straight.
Lips: Tightly closed, black.
Jaws/Teeth: Scissor bite. Complete dentition.
Eyes: Oval, colour as dark as possible. Black eyerims.
Ears: Medium size, pointed, carried strongly erect.
NECK: Medium long, clean, strong with good rise of neck.
BODY: Back & loin: Short, strong and straight.
Croup: As little sloping as possible.
Chest: Deep with good spring of ribs.
TAIL: Set high, firmly curled, carried over the center of the back, not too much to the side.
FOREQUARTERS: Firm with strong bone.
Shoulder: Moderately sloping.
Elbow: Well set, turned neither in nor out.
Pastern: Moderately sloping.
Forefeet: Oval in shape, compact.
Hind feet: As Forefeet.
HINDQUARTERS: Moderate angulation .
Thigh: Powerful ; well muscled.
Lower thigh: Well muscled.
GAIT / MOVEMENT: Effortless, parallel with good drive. Firm topline.
HAIR: Outer coat Thick, rich and hard, but rather smooth-lying. On head and front of legs comparatively short, on neck, chest, back of thighs and tail longer. Soft and dense undercoat.
- Wheaten (biscuit): Ranging from rather light to yellowish red. With or without dark tipped hairs, but must not influence the main colour. Mask permitted. Clean and bright colour preferred. As little white as possible.
- Black: Preferably self coloured (without too much bronzing). As little white as possible.
Height at withers:
Males 43-47 cm.
Bitches 41-45 cm.
Dogs approximately 14-18 kg.
Bitches approximately 12-16 kg.
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.
- General appearance too fine or too coarse, lack of elegance.
- Liver or pink coloured nose.
- Pincer bite.
- Light eyes; protruding eyes.
- Poorly curled tail. Hanging tail. Feathering unwanted..
- Overbuilt hindquarters.
- Paddling in front. Short, ineffective step.
- Wavy or too long coat.
- Nervous dog.
- Over-or undershot mouth.
- Not erect ears.
- Any colour but the ones mentioned above.
- Dogs more than 1 cm under or 2 cm above the height at withers mentioned above.